Yr Hafan Unit at Phoenix House, Welshpool, Powys, Wales
Yr Hafan unit is a six bed specialist mental health crisis and rehabilitation hospital that provides services for women with complex mental health needs and/or personality disorder.
The hospital is able to accept women on an informal basis and also those who are detained under the Mental Health Act (1983). We are able to accept immediate admissions as part of our crisis service.
Care is delivered by our experienced multi-disciplinary team of support workers, nurses, psychologists, occupational therapist and psychiatrists to support individuals on their treatment journey and develop their independent living skills in a small shared living environment.
Small group living and shared social spaces
The environment at Yr Hafan unit provides gender specific accommodation and treatment spaces for six women along with shared mixed gender communal areas to help the individual to socialise and forge relationships.
We offer structured rehabilitation based on the recovery model and provide an individually tailored, strengths based approach programme of therapeutic interventions and outcomes focused activities.
Specialist mental health care for women
Our pathways are available for women who are:
- Experiencing a crisis in the community and who require a period stabilisation and support
- Coming out of an acute hospital setting and require a period of structured rehabilitation
- Stepping down from secure care and require a period of rehabilitation before moving into the community
The unit has been established as a domestic living environment that encourages the women to be responsible for maintaining their own living space. It provides a structured, safe and private environment to help reinforce social boundaries.
The women we support often have complex mental health and associated conditions including:
- Personality Disorder not necessarily formally diagnosed
- Substance misuse
- Learning disability
Our empathic and understanding approach will suit women who may have had histories of trauma, abuse and self-harm.
Treatment incorporates the following elements:
• Crisis support and treatment
• Individually tailored recovery and rehabilitation pathways keeping length of stay to a minimum
• Treatment delivered following the eight domains in mental health under the Mental Health Measure 2010 (Wales), My Shared Pathway and using the Recovery model
• Positive risk taking
• Strengths based approach
• Positive behaviour management strategies
• Care planned psychological therapies
• Access to at least 30 hours of meaningful activity seven days a week inclusive of OT, psychology, Mental Health Nursing, medical interventions and external activities
• Developing independent living skills and community engagement with the activity coordinator and the Therapy team
• A strong emphasis on safeguarding
•Robust clinical governance
• Access to independent advocacy
• Strong multi-agency and family partnerships to ensure a holistic package of care and pathway
The service at Yr Hafan aims to deliver the following outcomes:
- Support in crisis and stabilisation to allow return to home environment
- Improvements in mental health
- Effective management of behaviour
- Reduction of risk
- Preparation for successful community living
- Good physical health management and support
- Improved self-esteem and self-worth
- Social inclusion
The Yr Hafan Unit is a specialist rehabilitation service for women with mental health issues and is part of Phoenix House in Welshpool, an already established men’s rehabilitation service. Y Hafan unit has been developed to meet the need for a local women’s service.
The town enjoys excellent facilities and amenities with three large supermarkets, a cinema, two leisure centres and a wide range of cafes and shops to utilise. The town provides a more relaxed local environment to enable patients to engage in their therapeutic programme at an earlier stage than in a busy inner-city setting, thus increasing the pace of recovery and speeding up discharge.
Welshpool is served by regular train services to/from Birmingham, Telford, Shrewsbury and Chester.
Welshpool is only 60 minutes from Chester and 90 minutes by car from Liverpool, Birmingham and Stoke-on-Trent.
Patient profile for female-only Mental Health Service Yr Hafan
Adult female 18+
Typical patient profiles accessing our male mental health care services
Typical referral route:
Referred via community or inpatient health services or via criminal justice services.
As a private mental health hospital, we also accept self-referrals for those seeking out a mental health rehabilitation centre.
To discuss this women only mental health hospital service in more detail, arrange a visit or make a referral please contact:
Janine Strange, Key Relationships Manager | Tel: 0800 954 2497
Address: Yr Hafan Unit at Phoenix House, Little Henfaes Drive, Welshpool, Powys SY21 7BG - MAP
Tel: 01938 552756
Yvonne Williams, Hospital Manager | email@example.com