Phoenix House Hospital, Welshpool, Powys, Wales
Phoenix House provides a specialist pathway of services for men with complex mental health issues such as schizophrenia, bi-polar disorder or depression and associated conditions including; substance misuse and personality disorder.
Phoenix House is able to accept men detained under the Mental Health Act (1983) including Restriction Orders and also those who are informal. The service is registered with Healthcare Inspectorate Wales (HIW).
“Staying at Phoenix House is really helping me with my ADHD and taking my medication. I never thought I’d be at the stage I am now after only three months.”
Alexander, Phoenix House
Our Crisis & Rehabilitation Service at Phoenix House
The Crisis Service provides a short term assessment and treatment service aimed at stabilising a person’s mental health for return to their home environment and continued support from their community team.
The Rehabilitation Service offers an individually tailored programme of therapeutic interventions and outcomes based activities aimed at a successful and timely discharge into the community.
Care is assisted by our recovery and social inclusion workers to help individuals develop their independent living skills in a small shared living environment.
The service is available for men who are:
- Currently living in the community who due to crisis require a period of stabilisation to enable them to return back to their home environment
- Coming out of an acute hospital setting and require a period of structured rehabilitation.
- Stepping down from secure care and require a period of rehabilitation before moving into the community
“Feedback from some clients I am currently working with who have spent time at Phoenix House said they felt staff really listened and cared and that being there had helped them to get better. The food is amazing at Phoenix House with a great variety and an exciting, delicious menu. Well done to your whole team for doing such a great job!”
Helen Edwards, Gwalia
Full Multi-Disciplinary Team
The service is staffed 24/7 by a dedicated team of nurses and support workers.
A holistic, psychosocial treatment programme is provided by a full multi-disciplinary team which includes Consultant Psychiatrists, Psychologists, Occupational therapist, Activities Coordinator, Physical Health Coordinator, Social Worker, Mental Health and Learning Disability Nurses, Recovery & Social Inclusion workers.
Treatment incorporates the following elements:
- Individually tailored recovery and rehabilitation pathways keeping length of stay to a minimum
- Treatment delivered following 8 domains in mental health under the Mental Health Measure 2010 (Wales), My Shared Pathway using the Recovery model
- Positive risk taking
- Strengths based approach
- Positive behaviour management strategies
- Care planned psychological therapies
- Access to at least 30 hours of meaningful activity 7 days a week inclusive of OT, psychology, Mental Health Nursing, medical interventions and external activities
- Developing independent living skills and community engagement with the activity coordinator and the Therapy team
- A strong emphasis on safeguarding
- Robust clinical governance
- Access to independent advocacy
- Strong multiagency and family partnerships to ensure a holistic package of care and pathway
“Phoenix House has been very successful in rehabilitating young men who have serious issues with drugs and alcohol which compromises their mental health.”
Mental Health commissioner, Staffordshire
The service at Phoenix House aims to deliver the following outcomes:
- Support in crisis and stabilisation to allow return to home environment
- Improvements in mental health and patient symptoms
- Effective management of behaviour
- Reduction of risk
- Preparation for successful community living
- Good physical health management and support.
- Improved self-esteem and self worth
- Social inclusion
About Phoenix House
Phoenix House is a specialist crisis and rehabilitation mental health service for men located in the busy market town of Welshpool in Powys.
Welshpool enjoys excellent facilities and amenities, with three large supermarkets, a cinema, two leisure centres and a wide range of cafes and shops. The town provides a more relaxed local environment to enable patients to engage in their therapeutic programme at an earlier stage than in a busy inner-city setting, thus increasing the pace of recovery and speeding up discharge.
Welshpool is served by regular train services to/from Birmingham, Telford, Shrewsbury and Chester. Welshpool is only 90 minutes by car from Liverpool, Birmingham, Stoke on Trent and just over 60 minutes from Chester.
Patient profile for men-only Mental Health Service at Phoenix House
Adult men 18+
Typical patient profiles accessing our male mental health care services
Typical referral route:
Referred via community or inpatient health services or via criminal justice services.
To discuss this men only private mental health hospital service in more detail, arrange a visit or make a referral please contact:
Janine Strange, Key Relationships Manager | Tel: 0800 954 2497
Address: Phoenix House, Little Henfaes Drive, Welshpool, Powys SY21 7BG - MAP
Tel: 01938 552756
Yvonne Williams, Hospital Manager | firstname.lastname@example.org